Thursday, January 27, 2011

Collard Greens

I tried Collard Greens for the very first time at Paula Deen's restaurant, Lady and Sons. And let me tell you, if you're ever going to try a food for the very first time, Paula Deen's version is the best way to try it. I was hooked from that first bite and vowed to recreate it at home.

Since then, I've made this multiple times and love it more every time. With so much flavor packed into these greens, they're so good that I've eaten them as a meal and a side dish, but my favorite way to eat them is straight out of the pot right around the time that they're finished cooking.

If thinking about collard greens makes you squeamish, you're not alone. The first time I told my husband I wanted to make these, he looked at me like I was crazy and then said he'd try "one" bite. Emphasis on the "one." Then he tried it and had not one, but two heaping servings. These are not only quite delicious; they're very nutritious. Collard greens are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, and are just straight up good for you! And even though this recipe calls for four slices of bacon, you can chalk the bacon up to a great flavor enhancer.


Spicy Collard Greens
adapted by Sunny Anderson


Ingredients:
  • four slices of bacon, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (less if you don't want it too spicy)
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 pound collard greens, chopped
  • 3 cups chicken or veggie stock
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste; the bacon ads enough salt for us, so I don't add any extra)
Directions:
In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon; drain on paper towel. Add onions and saute until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, and bacon; cook another minute. Add collard greens; stir and cook another minute. Add chicken or vegetable stock, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until greens are tender and dark green, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I get nervous reading about collard greens...but if you make them...I'll try them. Deal?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!