Thursday, February 3, 2011

Easy Fried Rice

There's just something about fried rice that I absolutely love. What I don't love is how absolutely horrible it is for you. Sure, there are veggies in there, but sometimes they're so tiny that you can hardly call it a serving of vegetables. Not to mention, it's typically fried in a lot of oil and then saturated with tons of soy sauce. Hello, MSG! But I love fried rice and continue to eat it all the time—in fact, I've had it four times this week!

Since I'm trying extremely hard to be healthy, I took matters into my own hands and tried making my own fried rice. It can't be that hard, right? But after three tries, I gave up. My attempts never tasted like the real deal. I chalked fried rice up as something I'll leave to the pros, and went on my way.

Then I found this recipe on Weight Watchers' website and decided to give it a shot since it had the word "easy" in the title. It turns out that not only was it ridiculously easy (seriously, how was I messing this up before?), but it actually tasted great, and it's only 3 points+ per serving! The trick, I think, is using older rice—if it's too fresh it just makes it mushy, so I made the rice in the morning and used it at night. I plan on bulking it up with even more veggies (bean sprouts, snap peas, more onions, etc.), trying it with brown rice, and adding some protein the next time I make it. In the mean time, this is a perfect, basic recipe for fried rice. Enjoy! 


Easy Fried Rice
adapted from Weight Watchers 

Ingredients:
2 spray(s) cooking spray   
2 large egg(s), lightly beaten (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)   
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped    
1 cup scallions, sliced, divided  
3 cups cooked white rice   
1–2 cups frozen green peas and carrots (or mixed veggies), thawed  
1/4 cup(s) low-sodium soy sauce, or to taste   

Directions: 
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm pan over medium-high heat. Add eggs; tilt pan so that eggs cover bottom. When eggs start to set, break them up into pieces with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until eggs are cooked through, about 1 minute more; remove eggs from skillet and set aside.

Off heat, recoat same skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and all but 2 tablespoons scallions; sauté about 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in cooked rice, veggies, and soy sauce; cook until heated through, stirring once or twice, about 1 minute. Gently stir in cooked egg and remaining scallions; heat through. Yields about 3/4 cups per serving.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Thank you for this, I have always wanted to know how to make fried rice, this is definitely easy and do-able! Very excited now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing - it does look really easy & do-able. Can't wait for your recipes from Italy too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been craving fried rice like crazy lately! Perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jess, that looks soooo goood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love making fried rice every once in a while! I do agree - using fresh rice that is hot doesn't work too well: I usually cook my rice and pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so/throw it in the fridge to cool it down, and that seems to work well!

    I also started making my fried rice with brown rice in the past couple of years. With stir fry, Justin usually prefers sticky rice...and I totally get that, but with the fried rice, the sticky rice will lose its "stick" anyway, so I use the brown because in my head that makes it healthier? Ha, I doubt it really makes much difference, but whatever!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!