Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Potato Casserole

I'm always looking for a new way to whip up a potato. While I do love the traditional baked potato, it gets a little boring sometimes. My husband has an adoration for anything in casserole form. When he see's me pull out his favorite red casserole dish he practically dances with excitement. Not to down talk my husband, it is all because of him I come up with some fabulous meals! I was making steak the other night and didn't want a normal baked potato or even mashed potatoes. I had an abundance of bell peppers and little red potatoes. Anytime I have ingredients but am not sure what I'm going to do with them out comes the red casserole dish. Cue dancing. Now I realize the picture isn't "pretty" in the normal sense of the word but in casserole world, it's crispy, it's cheesy, it's gooey... it's beautiful.


Potato Casserole
Ingredients:
1 lb red potatoes (small)
1 of each red, green, yellow and orange bell pepper- julienned
1 small yellow onion- diced
2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil- to coat pan
1/3 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp rosemary
Salt and Pepper- to taste
Johnny's Garlic Spread-(optional) if you don't own this, order it NOW! Thanks to my fabulous Mother in Law for introducing me to this. It now goes on everything I make, YUM.

Directions:
Wash and boil the potatoes till cooked. In the meantime saute onion and bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat. Once the peppers are soft add the garlic, continue to cook until caramelized but not burnt and lifeless. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain potatoes and slightly mash them, leaving them smashed but still chunky. Place the potatoes in a greased dish and top with the peppers, onion, and the pan juices. Drop spoonfuls of sour cream on potatoes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar. Season with Johnny's Garlic Spread, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil. Bake at 325 degrees until bubbly and gooey, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes more to give it a crispy top.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my word. I kinda hate you (and love you at the same time) for posting this. Mostly, because we just ate dinner and now I want to devour that casserole. We will be making this very, very soon.

    And don't you just LOVE Johnny's Garlic Spread? We use it on EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this sounds so good! I'm with Jessica, I'm still full from dinner, but I would love to eat some of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow yum, this looks so good! I absolutely love Johnny's! We have the seasoning salt and I am obsessed! I will have to try the garlic spread though since I am a garlic fanatic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've combined two of my favorite things to cook with - "potatoes" & a "casserole dish"! This looks awesome. I am a huge fan of casseroles & will definitely try this at the weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad everybody enjoyed this!!! The best thing about it, is you could put any of your favorite veggies in this and it'd be phenomenal!! And yes, I am IN LOVE with Johnny's Garlic Spread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks and sounds delicious! It's right up my alley!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!