Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Minty Mascarpone Oreo Snowflake Cookies

When I saw the announcement for the Second Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap I knew exactly what I wanted to make and send out. It's the cookie recipe I had in mind for last year, but I got sidetracked by an old family Gingersnap recipe and sent those out instead.

I was drawn to this Minty Mascarpone Oreo Snowflake Cookie because it combined a very classic Italian ingredient (mascarpone—a yummy slightly sweet Italian-stye cream cheese) and a favorite American element (Oreos!) that you can't find in Italy. Basically, this cookie is a fusion of the two places I now call home.


Before sending them out to my three cookie swap partners (Jamie at The Gaited Baker, KT with Ktvorwald, and Kristina at Love and Zest), I sent out several dozen to my husband and voluntold asked him to share them with his crew. He's my go-to man for quality control, so I had to make sure they passed the taste test, and who better to have taste the cookies than a bunch of hungry, deployed airmen? Not only did they make it there in one piece (woohoo!), but he said everyone devoured them. I made half with mint and half without, and everyone enjoyed them, so if you don't have mint—or the mint Oreos—on hand, don't fret.

These cookies are soft, chewy, and almost creamy thanks to the smooth addition of mascarpone. The little bits of Oreos add a slight crunch and just enough chocolate to make things fun. Add in a touch of mint and you'll have yourself a perfect holiday cookie!

 Minty Mascarpone Oreo Snowflake Cookies
by The Tale of Two Kitchens; adapted from Kevin and Amanda

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
4 oz mascarpone cheese (125 grams)
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp mint extract
10 crushed Oreo cookies (regular or mint flavored)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F. Cream butter and mascarpone for about 3 minutes. Slowly beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, vanilla, and mint. Slowly beat in the flour until mixed. Stir in crushed Oreo cookies. Scoop or spoon cookie dough on to a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Makes around 3 dozen cookies (when using a medium-sized cookie scoop).

A very special thanks to those who sent me delicious cookies:
Rachel from Williams Kitchen
Hannah from Blue Kale Road


9 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to have to make these especially because they have mascarpone cheese in them!!! They look delicious! I'll have to leave out the mint though since the hubs isn't a fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies are amazing! They are beautiful and so moist! We must think alike-- I also did a mint and oreo cookie for the swap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really super! Thanks so much for sending them. I love how creamy they are and mint and oreo is a great combination. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, these look absolutely amazing! Can't wait to try them, and I LOVE mascarpone.... my love for all things Italy started that, and makes me want to try every recipe that has mascarpone in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! Totally pinning this now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks delish. I'm going to tweet this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chief capabilities associated with a home seem to be to help you keep, prepare yourself and additionally make meals diet and additionally to try and do corresponding projects just like dishwashing.how to get vaseline out of clothes

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.how to get vaseline out of clothes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!