Friday, May 13, 2011

Ice Cream Bread


Ice cream bread? Say what?

If you're scratching your head right now, you're not the only one. I saw this a few days ago on Pinterest (anyone else completely addicted to that site?) and knew I had to try making it immediately.

Not only did I try it, but I've kind of gone crazy trying different flavors. I'm still baffled that this bread is made with ice cream! Make this with your leftover ice cream or pick up a pint for a  fun, ridiculously easy, and tasty bread. When I say "ridiculously easy to make" I truly mean that. There are only two ingredients:

Self-rising flour* + Ice cream

The flavors above are strawberry on the left and "turtle tracks" (caramel, chocolate, and peanut butter) on the right. I've also tried pineapple coconut ice cream (SO delicious) and peach ice cream. I just bought some coffee ice cream and plan on making some bread with that very soon. I happen to like chunks in this particular bread, so to the strawberry ice cream I added additional frozen strawberries, and to the peach I added pecans. The sky is really the limit!

If you try this, let us know what you think and what flavor you used; I'm curious how it'll taste with different ice creams.

Ice Cream Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups (1 pint) ice cream
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour*
(For every cup of flour add 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt {sift together}. There you go, now you have self-rising flour.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 x 4 loaf pan or line it with parchment paper. In a medium bowl mix semi-melted ice cream and flour together until just combined. Scoop into the loaf and and smooth out. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the loaf comes out with a few crumbs stuck to it. Remove from the pan and allow to coo. Enjoy! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is the complete opposite of no carb, but I must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it!!!! OMG. I need to try. Was the bread with chocolate in it weird? I need to try pistachio so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the coolest, weirdest creation. I'm so curious as to how it tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!! How crazy! I definitely don't need to be eating ice cream bread right now but I'm soooo saving this to try out on Ryan! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is freaking awesome! I have a huge container of vanilla ice cream in the freezer that I don't know what to do with. I just finished my pistachio almond ice cream last night but I'll buy more just to have this bread. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!