Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Berry Rhubarb Pie

My husband and I went to Costco last week—a big deal since the closest one is an hour away—and we went to town buying fruits and veggies. With an abundance of strawberries and blueberries, we knew we needed to make something with them other than plopping them in our morning smoothies. So we (or I should say my husband) made what he makes best: pie!


Last year we really wanted to make a rhubarb pie, but we procrastinated and missed rhubarb season. Whoops. This year we didn't take any chances and bought rhubarb the second we saw it, and since we had a plethora of berries on hand, we decided to make a Strawberry Blueberry Rhubarb Pie. Or a StrawBluBarb Pie, if you will. As with most berry pies, the fruit will release a lot of liquid, so it's best to let it sit and thicken a bit before digging in...if you can wait that long

I'm pretty sure this is my new favorite pie, especially for the summer. The blueberries popped with sweetness, the strawberries tasted like snozberries...naturally, and the rhubarb complimented the berries sweetness by making my cheeks pucker just a bit. Do yourself a favor and make this pie—or a variation of it with whatever berries you have on hand!



Berry Rhubarb Pie
adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients
  • 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and cut (if needed) into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon  
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon melted butter or butter spray
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • two prepared pie crusts

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. In a medium bowl, combine berries and rhubarb. In a separate small bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over fruit mixture and stir gently. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Gently stir again, making sure flour and sugar mixture isn't clumpy.
  3. Mix lemon juice into fruit filling, then spoon into pastry-lined pie pan. With the other crust, either make a lattice top (in photo) roll completely out and place over filling. Crimp edges and cut steam vents in top. 
  4. Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
  5. Bake for around 40–50 minutes, or until filling is bubbling thick and crust is golden brown.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this looks delicious!! It came at a perfect time too- my dad loves rhubarb and I have been saving a strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe for Father's Day but it looked a little blah- I love the idea of adding blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had rhubarb! This sounds yummy. Kenny and his pie making skills kills me! I'd be demanding pie daily. :)

    Haha, Super Troopers. Meow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I'm not a big fan of strawberry rhubarb pie but I think the addition of the sweet blueberries is probably just the ticket to get me to like rhubarb. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!